Saturday, August 26, 2017

Books I've read recently - #6

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
I picked this book up almost by accident. This book will clearly classify as seminal work. The high level essence of this book, I already knew. I guess most of us know. Which is, why deep work is important. The powerhouse impact came from the elucidation of the undercurrents and the implications. In a distraction happy world, people who do deep work are a rare breed. While it is inevitable it brings success and money, and perhaps fame, my takeaway was more significant (personally). It was about learning. It opened a window in my head about something I always knew but did not know. This book is a must read.

So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
 I just had to read this following the earlier one (above) by Cal Newport. While verbose, I guess erring in favor of repeating is perhaps better than skimping. While not as impactful for me as 'Deep Work', this is still significant. Career capital, which this book defines, and deep work go hand in hand, so this is a must read as well. The most significant bit for me came in the appendix where the author describes how he applied each of the rules defined in the book in his own life.

Katwalk
 This was a charming story. The writing is simple and the story doesn't involve a major plot twist either. A bit boring in the middle, but I loved reading it. Without spoiling, a hat tip for keeping Kat's and Deb's friendship intact. I was half expecting a backstab. We can do without those - thank you very much!

The Gravy Train
 Thanks to Kindle, I am picking up interesting titles which I wouldn't have otherwise. I liked the narration. My gripe (not attributing to the author) was that 70% of the wall street and investment terminology went over my head. The author either had to be verbose and lay it out for laymen like me or assume knowledge and narrate it for the comfortable. Fair enough, he chose the latter. The story would have added two notches additional enjoyment if I had the concepts down. I like the thriller aspect of the story.

No comments:

 
Web Analytics