Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Firm

I saw this movie a few weeks ago. Its a legal thriller and was fascinating! The depth of the plot and the level of detail were amazing. It is based on a John Grisham novel with the same name. This was only John Grisham's second novel (after "A Time to Kill").

For some reason, the movie compelled me to read this book. And so I did. As with any movie made from a book - stick to the thumb rule. If you intend to read the book, watch the movie first. The movie almost always never matches up to the book's narration because of the author's leeway in explaining the detail and presenting subtler cues. The narration is very casual and off beat. It was my first JG novel and at the latter parts of the book, it just rips along!

I then watched the movie again and was able to appreciate the details better. The movie, for the most part, stays faithful to the novel. But the climax has been changed to show the hero in better light (it's Tom Cruise after all!) - but it was quite amazing Sydney Pollack pulled this off. A few other operational details have also been changed - understandably so - because the novel plot is pretty complex with a lot of details.

Legal thrillers have their own charm!

Note: I am interested to know which authors' novels have been made into movies the most. I think the contenders will be Michael Crichton, John Grisham and Stephen King. SK will be the winner I think.

No comments:

 
Web Analytics