Monday, August 02, 2010

Trek to Velliyangiri 2nd stream

On Saturday, 31st Jul 2010, we went on a trek to Velliyangiri hills, 2nd stream. While this is an oft-repeated trek, this was a first for me. It’s a two hour trek one way and crosses the Dhanikandi village. Somehow, all of my treks are accompanied by rain! (CIP1, CIP2). No complaints though! On Velliyangiri, except for the path open to public to trek to the 7th hill, I think most others are protected and public cannot trek through. And am I glad for that! The forests are pristine! The rain made it all the more beautiful. The recent trek I made helped. The trail was moderately easy – I think it’s about 6kms one way. The 2nd stream is close to 550m high above sea level.

Well, our party was quite large – close to 120 folks. Unlike my previous trek, I had no shoulder burden and was walking freely. A chatterbox lady was walking with me and apart from bird sounds, for half the way, I was also hearing blah blah. (I don’t remember anything else anyway). Our first stop comes @ Dhanikandi which is about 2 kms from the starting point. It’s a small village – I presume about 50 to 75 homes were there. It’s nestled deep inside – no buses or easy access to the outside world. The villagers will have to walk nearly 8-9 kms to get their bus.

After that, it is all walking over undulating gradient and thick forest green chiseled with rain and bird sounds. Looking at towering trees clustering and trying to hide away the sky from sight was awe inspiring. What a magnificent creation! At one point, when the group made a small pause, I was leaning against a tree and noticed a medium sized spider that camouflaged its legs invisibly with the bark color. That was scary and beautiful. Its body had red spots. The fauna in the forest was quite interesting. Later in the trek, I saw dragon flies with red and black spots and another dragon fly which actually looked like a cross between a butterfly and a dragon fly!

When we finally reached 2nd stream (man is that hidden deep inside the mountain!), we were greeted by a gushing stream sound first. It’s quite large! I did not have change of dress and the weather was quite cold! I didn’t bathe, but was watching all other frolic! It was here that the dragon flies where aplenty. One tried to sit on my shoulder insistently despite pushing it away. I tried a cute little dance jump across stones on the stream and promptly fell down, hurting my thumb badly. It still hurts! But seeing this gushing, clean, abundant water stream inside the mountain womb was refreshing. I hope it stays this way – if required at the cost of human absence!

After like an hour of this frolic, the group gathered and had bajji, hot chocolate, chips and laddu. The bajji and hot chocolate were made on site. All the vessels and ingredients were trekked up! The waste papers and cups were collected separately in a plastic bag to be trekked down!

The return trek was slightly tiring. My left foot was aching, but the path and the ambience was great! The chatterbox lady returned as well. We had started by about 11am and returned back to base by 5:30pm or so.

Note: Happily, no camera this time!

14 comments:

Anupama said...

Was radha the chatterbox lady? :p
Wow, 120 is a huge number.

I have been there too, for some committee-members meet. That was 5 years ago!

As I Like it said...

I quite did not get it. Not open to public? But still you got to go? Part of Isha's trek?

Deepak said...

Anupama,
:-x

Meera,
Yes (same answer for all three questions).

Radha said...

You better recall every word I spoke during the trek or you are dead when I return home, Mister!!

BTW, you missed the most important part of the fun by not taking bath in the stream \ falls. We had so much fun diving into the mini and micro falls up there.

Anyways, since you called me a chatterbox, now I am forced to give people a little perspective ! People, please watch this to get to know the blabbering machine I am living with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeepakkt#p/a/u/2/DwfKUjHwZyc

Deepak said...

A woman scorned... :-(
You didn't even have to reveal yourself lady!

Radha said...

As if people cannot guess! There are some who already know we trekked together.

BTW, I am trying to recall the TR style "poem" that you said once on the spot (the one where each line ends with madhi, sadhi, gadhi, sodhi etc). You know what, if you remember it now, we can copy right that!

Anupama said...

ohohohohohoho! It sings!
Radha, thanks for sharing some laughs.
whose voice-over is that? Osho?

Deepak said...

It? IT?
And you obviously didn't read the subtitles!

Anupama said...

it=you "trying" to sing.

yup, just noticed the subtitle.

As I Like it said...

Sorry for peeping in guys.
But Radha, I did not know it was you. Now I do :)
But I did wonder how Deepak managed to be with "a" chatterbox lady both ways.
If it helps, you do not look like a chatterbox lady. Some chamathu girl is what me thinks.

As I Like it said...

Sorry for peeping in guys.
But Radha, I did not know it was you. Now I do :)
But I did wonder how Deepak managed to be with "a" chatterbox lady both ways.
If it helps, you do not look like a chatterbox lady. Some chamathu girl is what me thinks.

Anupama said...

ohohohohohoho! It sings!
Radha, thanks for sharing some laughs.
whose voice-over is that? Osho?

Radha said...

You better recall every word I spoke during the trek or you are dead when I return home, Mister!!

BTW, you missed the most important part of the fun by not taking bath in the stream \ falls. We had so much fun diving into the mini and micro falls up there.

Anyways, since you called me a chatterbox, now I am forced to give people a little perspective ! People, please watch this to get to know the blabbering machine I am living with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeepakkt#p/a/u/2/DwfKUjHwZyc

As I Like it said...

I quite did not get it. Not open to public? But still you got to go? Part of Isha's trek?

 
Web Analytics