Saturday, January 09, 2010

Scorpions




Don't ask me why, but scorpions are running in my head the last few days. Like crabs, I think I've had a fascination for them for a long time. Many years ago in a computer class, I had a colleague who was then how old I am now. He missed one or two days of the class. So when he returned, I asked him why. He mentioned he was stung by a scorpion. My interest radar lit up and I asked him "Did it pain?". Duh! Of course it did. He paused and said, "After childhood, I think this is the first time I cried!"

For all the interest, I think I've never seen a live one. Also, I've heard many people say that a scorpion bite is never fatal, only painful. My mom used to say that a scorpion sting can cause a hole in a stainless steel vessel. Not sure about that, but all this nursed a weird fetish of wanting a bite from one. Ok, I take that back! But I definitely want to see a live one at work! My grandma tells me she has been stung by scorpions so many times.

I was reading up about scorpions. The Arizona bark scorpion (this person has it on his hand - brrrr!) is tiny but potent in terms of the sting and venom. It's dreaded by the area people. It lays hundreds of children (they don't come out of eggs but out of the mother directly) at any time and that picture was scary! A man in Texas caught a 65 pound scorpion (think about that for a minute). Details here: Sadly, like most "heroes" do there, it was killed and stuffed.

There are so many varieties of just this one species! This is a wide and varied creation!


Note: The image in this post is licensed with creative commons.
The copyright for this image belongs to alex.ch. Click on the image or here to view the image on alex.ch's website.

No comments:

 
Web Analytics