Friday, November 27, 2009

Road Rage

I think, in India, the first training in driving must be for drivers to drive with concern for their fellow road mates. I am not talking about accidents here, but a need to drive with a little more alertness of their surrounding vehicles. The other need has to be for the driver to drive calmly. Especially with the vibrant diversity in the kind of vehicles that ply on the road (So India isn't it?!?), it is more important - perhaps even more than road rules.

I think these two aspects will take care of a lot of problems that we see on the road. This will not change overnight, definitely, but if this training is inculcated into drivers as a prerequisite to getting the driving license, it would help a lot. Today, it is more like a joke. A good driving school more or less has inside contacts to the RTO, that if you enlist in a driving school, your license is assured.

When I said problems, a few common things that keep repeating (city after city):

1) A public bus stops smack bang in the middle of the road to drop/pickup passengers. Some thought on part of the driver will cause him to park to the left end of the road to allow other vehicles to pass

2) Rude cutting off of other vehicles (The one cutting off isn't rude. He just doesn't have this aspect in awareness. The one who is cut off perceives this as rude!)

3) Literally no sense of left, right - brute force overtaking

4) As an offshoot of all these - incessant honking. I think some drivers drive with their hand on the horn!

Wondering about the title? I was crossing the road a few weeks back. A car was cut off by a two wheeler and the car driver had to sudden-brake. He totally flipped - I presume it must have been the n'th time that day - and went into a bout of rage and started honking incessantly. While accidents are a drastic change in situation from day-to-day driving, the climate that exists in today's roads in India is certainly good ground for accidents to happen!

2 comments:

Alvy said...

Whatever you have said here, they run in my mind every single day during the drive from home to work. Though I got my license I really am scared to hit the road given the type of traffic and the driving style. My dad drops me( of yeah)Poor man. He has recently started driving again after a gap of over 15 years. Not only to express his frustration but for his own saftey (thats what he thinks)he keeps honking and that drives me crazy. We even fight over it sometimes. But then given his age and validity of his concerns - why dont these people try to think of their own safety atleast if not mine is what he says, I really feel bad. If its the bus drivers on one hand, call taxi drivers aren't any better. I guess, in both cases, earlier you reach the destination, better the business and maybe happier the customers.

Alvy said...

Whatever you have said here, they run in my mind every single day during the drive from home to work. Though I got my license I really am scared to hit the road given the type of traffic and the driving style. My dad drops me( of yeah)Poor man. He has recently started driving again after a gap of over 15 years. Not only to express his frustration but for his own saftey (thats what he thinks)he keeps honking and that drives me crazy. We even fight over it sometimes. But then given his age and validity of his concerns - why dont these people try to think of their own safety atleast if not mine is what he says, I really feel bad. If its the bus drivers on one hand, call taxi drivers aren't any better. I guess, in both cases, earlier you reach the destination, better the business and maybe happier the customers.

 
Web Analytics