Friday, March 20, 2009

Devotion and Technology

Many months back, in a temple, I witnessed that, during the pooja, the drums and bells were automated. It was motorized and was activited upon pressing a switch. I recently saw this in another temple at Coimbatore. It definitely serves the purpose.

A few months back in Trichy, for a procession, a band from Kerala was enlisted. They were playing full swing, and I was able to look at the faces of the instrumentalists. Mostly, they were oblivious to the surroundings - especially, the jalra (it was huge, about 10-15 times the regular one used in kachcheris). Every time it made a sound, it was reverberating within me. I did not want to move away from the place. It was mainly the way they were playing together in a way they gave themselves to it.

Contrasting both of the approaches, I feel there is no substitute for the conscious presence of a human being in an activity. I am a gadget freak (sort of) myself and I pay attention to tools, automation wherever feasible. But when it comes to devotion, I think we are hitting the border of something else and we need human involvement here.

Another example of the second category is of course the Nadha Aradhana in Dhyanalinga.

No comments:

 
Web Analytics