Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Project Green Hands - 1st Oct 2007

This time it was seeding work at Prakash's house.

I was swamped through the weekend and on the morning of 1st Oct 2007, but I decided to join the team on Radha's suggestion. I had to go there with my full kit (laptop, data card etc) in case the need arose - which never happened :)

This time, we were four of us - myself, Radha, Balaji and Ramya. It was also my chance to visit the bed at Prakash's house. On their terrace, their bed comprises of nearly 6000 packets. Some of them had already sprouted. I was able to identify 'arasa maram' and 'vEppa maram'. It was amazing to think - something so tiny and cute is going to be something so giant and encompassing.

Step 1 of seeding was preparation of the seeds. Balaji took instructions from Govindasamy anna (if you are @ Chennai, you invariably know who this is. His house is home for a bed of 1.5L saplings). It involved washing the seeds in boiling water and then cleaning them off in cold water - they are ready to plant. Our seeds were yAnai kUndumani again - I'll try to get the english name next time!

Our original plan was to complete seeding for all the packets - but our estimate was totally off. Because of overnight rains, many packets were already moist and conducive for seeding, so one task was off our plate. Otherwise, it would have involved sprinkling water on all packets until the soil was not rigid. We used a stick to prod the soil until a hole of about 1.5 inches was dug, placed the seed in the hole and covered it back. With four of us working, we started @ 4:30PM and continued till it was dark. At the end, we had covered about 2000 packets.

I dropped of the the team after our work was done and that sealed PGH work for the day!

3 comments:

Roy said...

Dear Deepak,
I am interested in seeding plants and also want to plant around 50 to 100 plants at my area
(sembakkam, Heritage Jeyandra Nagar).

Iam did 13 days program at 2003 and also did 7 days program at June 2007 at chrompet.

Kindly let me know to whom I have to contact for the plants ?

thanks,
subarayan
subarayan@gmail.com
98407 08391

Radha said...

Photos will help more!!

Roy said...

Dear Deepak,
I am interested in seeding plants and also want to plant around 50 to 100 plants at my area
(sembakkam, Heritage Jeyandra Nagar).

Iam did 13 days program at 2003 and also did 7 days program at June 2007 at chrompet.

Kindly let me know to whom I have to contact for the plants ?

thanks,
subarayan
subarayan@gmail.com
98407 08391

 
Web Analytics