Sunday, September 09, 2007

Project Green Hands - 8th Sep 2007

We got together on Saturday again at Guna's house (the same volunteer whose name I couldn't remember earlier!). I was able to reach only by about 4PM, so I had missed a lot of action. Somehow, I have this knack of reaching there when the group is eating!

Prakash was the subject of a lot of taunts - primary taunter being Balaji. I am not sure if I am allowed to disclose the subject here. I will await permission from Prakash - Balaji at least :). He must have said the story to at least a hundred people I think. If the story comes on "Isha IT", I can easily link to the post!

There were many new people I had not met the previous week. I had just missed Savita and her cute little kids. I heard the kids were also involved in bagging sand! Again, I will need to wait for Prakash to publish the pictures - but I was able to view them on his mobile.

Myself and Radha started work at about 4:30PM - the rest of the gang joined after they finished lunch(!). Again, we worked till about 6:30PM where we had to leave when it became dark enough, but the others were working still. I am not sure when they completed work. The interim period was again an enjoyable period. Prakash was being taunted more by Balaji. We were also discussing the fact that when the soil is ready for plantation, earthworms inhabit the soil. We wondered where they came from. There is so much magic in how things happen in nature. While we were working with the soil, we were able to find live earthworms in there! There was a lot of competition on who got the earthworms to drop in the sandbags! While I was working, some bird took the opportunity to ease itself on my hand. This gave Radha a lot of glee. I told her, when she pointed a finger at some one else, three fingers pointed back at her. Yes - there were two much larger bird spots on her dress!

Meanwhile, some of the bags we had seeded last week had sprouted. Several others were yet to sprout. One volunteer mentioned that we would need to wait to see if they were not weeds (the soil also had several weed seeds which we had to exclude while bagging). Overall, it would probably be a few weeks before we see everything sprout. Balaji mentioned that these would be allowed to grow to four feet in the bags before they are sent off for plantation.

Foot note: At least two other volunteers (Pooja and one more) are planning to stay in Guna's house for a few weeks to assist with PGH work. The timing is perfect as her parents are leaving for the US for the same period! Radha volunteered as well! Looks like a case of too many in-house volunteers!

4 comments:

Stottpot said...

Hi Deepak,

Since attending the Planting Celebration (see my blog) at Anna University I have been inspired to get involved with PGH.

I have been in touch with Vinod Hari who encouraged me to get saplings and plant them locally, but this doesn't work for me because I live on a very green campus! He didn't come up with any alternatives, so I thought I'd contact you.

What your doing sounds great, can I get involved with any seed planting, tree planting with you?

Hope to hear from you soon,
Kate

Deepak said...

Kate,
Could you provide a way to get in touch with you? I can have the volunteer notices reach you as well.

Deepak said...

Kate,
Could you provide a way to get in touch with you? I can have the volunteer notices reach you as well.

Stottpot said...

Hi Deepak,

Since attending the Planting Celebration (see my blog) at Anna University I have been inspired to get involved with PGH.

I have been in touch with Vinod Hari who encouraged me to get saplings and plant them locally, but this doesn't work for me because I live on a very green campus! He didn't come up with any alternatives, so I thought I'd contact you.

What your doing sounds great, can I get involved with any seed planting, tree planting with you?

Hope to hear from you soon,
Kate

 
Web Analytics