Monday, August 13, 2007

Impressions...

I remember a few days back taking a picture of myself through a mirror. Several minutes past that, when I closed my eyes, I could still see the flashlight - bright as ever, distinct inside my head. What struck me most was how effortlessly the mind picks up impressions like these. We have little or no control over what we pickup like this. And what is in our mind affects the way we behave, think - all of which sets a cycle. Another exercise which many people suggest - before going to sleep, repeat a mantra - it can be anything - say "monkey, monkey...." and if you can go to sleep with this, this will be the first thing you remember when you wake up. The subconscious mind latches on to this impression and runs it all through your sleep as a thread. Now we know why ads work!?!

Which brings to the second topic - TV. With a device like this spewing up video and audio together seamlessly with content tailored specifically and precisely for the audience, it becomes a great tool for making impressions. Unfortunately what sort of impressions do we choose on a day-to-day basis? It's easy to find out - pick the most popular programs, see the "selling" news content or pick a "hit" movie. Yikes! Eckhart Tolle, specifically mentions in his book "A New Earth" to minimize or avoid television - especially programs that blast images in rapid succession. Also, importantly, he stresses NOT to go to sleep watching a television program for the reasons mentioned in the first paragraph. Yet another thing he stresses, do not go to sleep immediately after watching television. Wait for 5-10 minutes before going to sleep.

Sometimes, it amazes me how little it takes to gather so much! How something so innocuous looking is capable of so much!

PS: I think I should follow a little of the above advice myself :)

No comments:

 
Web Analytics