Monday, August 21, 2006

Hardship and Gratitude...

I was reading through this QA snippet between a questioner and Sadhguru.

Questioner:How do I use every opportunity, even every hardship that comes my way, as a stepping-stone for my growth, Sadhguru?

Sadhguru:How to use everything and everybody for your growth? First of all, you grow in gratitude, not in benevolence.....

The complete answer is here.

The thing that is difficult for me to grasp is, how can one be grateful when he/she is going through whatever hardship is happenning to him/her? Post all the changes, one can look back at whatever happened and see how it has helped them grow - that can be a trigger point for gratitude.

What blows me away in the above statement is the implementation aspect of what Sadhguru is talking about. I have read about a Master who used to thank God every night before sleep for the wonderful day He had been given. One day, He and His disciples where pelted by stones by a hostile mob and they had to go hungry all day. But the disciples were shocked to see the Master offer the same prayer to God that night as well. My question is, what is the Master's inner state that allows Him to be this way (genuinely grateful for what He is going through)?

No comments:

 
Web Analytics